Washing Instructions, general guidelines
Note. You’ll find specific washing instructions for each yarn type under Yarn Quality Comparison Chart and the Colour card for each quality.
In general, we discourage the use of washing machine, even the wool program can make garments lose their shape and in worst case lead to shrinking. Qualities that includes silk could also lose color. When hand washing in the sink never let the garment soak in the water, remember to dry flat and never in direct sunlight. Otherwise, be sure to follow washing instructions provided.
See the Washing Symbols explanation chart
Wool and silk qualities
Important! Never leave garments made from wool and silk to soak.
Untreated wool; alpaca, mohair and silk:
- Hand wash 30ºC (cold).
- Use plenty of water.
- Dissolve detergent completely before adding garment.
- We recommend detergents with natural pH (approx 7.5).
- Move garment gently, don’t rub!
- Never leave to soak
- Rinse thoroughly
Superwash treated wool, may be machine washed.
- Use detergents with natural pH.
- Don’t use fabric conditioner.
Generally for wool and silk:
- Spin garments lightly in a pillow case, or roll it into a towel and press out moisture.
- The garment should be formed after washing and dry flat. Avoid drying the garment in direct sunlight.
- Never put a dripping wet garments to dry. Avoid drying garments on a surface that absorb moisture such as terry towels. In both cases, the garment can be discolored or lose its natural elasticity.
- Never use a dryer for wool, the garment will shrink!
- Unevenness in the garment will even out after wash or light steam ironing. Remember to never put pressure o the garment neiter in wet or dry condition. Never steam iron on parts that are knitted in structures like cables. Never use iron or put press ever on Silk.
- When steaming, use preferably a steam iron, or regular iron and a damp cloth placed between the iron and garment. Note! The garment should never be pressed! Please note that garments knitted with special "heavy" techniques can grow in use or in the wash.
Cotton, Linen and mixed qualities
Important! Never leave to soak.
Always machine wash at 40ºC or 60ºC depending on instruction on label. If washed at a wrong/lower temperature, colours may run. If this happens, wash again at the right temperature, i.e. according to label. It is very important to adhere to the right temperature.
- Wash dark colours separately.
- Only use detergents with no added whitener in order to avoid de-colouring.
- Don’t use too much fabric conditioner.
- Use washing programmes with plenty of rinsing time.
Linen always wash at 40ºC:
- Treat the same way as our hand wash wool qualities.
- OBS! Don’t spin nor tumble dry qualities containing linen as this will damage the fibres.
Generally cotton, linen and mixed qualities
- Spin garments lightly in a pillow case.
- Measure garment before wash in order it may be shape correctly after wash.
- Shape, and dry garments flat and avoid direct sun light. Don’t wrap in towels as these will absorb moisture and rob the yarn of its natural elasticity.
- Don’t tumble dry.
Always keep the labels – they are your warranty! Many of the basic qualities in the market are so similar that it is difficult to tell if it’s a Garnstudio product or not. In order for us to deal with any complaints in an orderly manner, we need the labels as well as the knitted garment.